Why is it so important to know and understand your Ideal Client?
Ask yourself these three questions:
- Has the way you do business changed either completely or in part following the pandemic?
- Has your offering changed either completely or in part following the pandemic?
- Has the way you think about business and the service you offer changed at all since the pandemic?
If the answer to any of these questions is ‘yes’ it’s time you revisited your Ideal Client Avatar.
As well as changes to your business, you may already have noticed changes to the type of person you are doing business with. It’s impossible for such a monumental event to take place and there not to be ripples that affect everyone. Those ripples, good and bad, need to be examined and the resulting lessons encapsulated in your business strategy and processes.
Let’s remind ourselves of the basics
- As a business owner who wants their business to continue to thrive, you need to get totally to grips with your ideal client. You need to totally understand what their pain, or gain, is. And you need to be certain of the solution that you can offer to ease that pain, or gain, and help your client.
- The changes to the world are still happening, we have not yet reached any sort of steady state. It is therefore to be expected that if your new way of delivering your business – or possibly your entirely new deliverable – hasn’t yet reached the radar of your existing and prospective clients.
- In the same way as above, you may not yet understand the new pain which your clients are now feeling, and whether this is a temporary or permanent pain.
Really knowing and understanding your Ideal Client is the key to being able to empathise with their problems, communicate that you are there and able to help and, ultimately, offer them a solution that works.
Three steps to attracting more ideal clients
Step 1 – Create an ideal client persona or avatar
By creating an avatar you will bring your ideal client to life and really understand the problems they face, the language they speak and where they hang out. Get under their skin, experience their pain points and find the way to align your solution with them.
Click here to download my Step-by-Step Guide to Creating your Ideal Client Avatar.
Step 2 – Always have your avatar in mind when you create content
Once you know and understand your ideal client and have an avatar, you will be able to communicate with them in a much more efficient way.
You can explain how your product or service helps to overcome the issues and challenges they face. Once your marketing messages really begin to resonate with them, they are also more likely to convert into a client, or remain a client for longer, thereby increasing revenue. Having an avatar will help you generate interest and engagement in the following ways:
- Your messages will resonate with people who are currently unknown to you on social medial and they will be attracted to you to find out more about your business – entering into your sales funnel.
- You will increase the chance of potential clients/prospects already on your list (either opted in or legitimate interests*) engaging with you and moving along your sales process – with the ultimate aim of them becoming a client – because they are more likely to receive and relate to your messaging.
*Contact me if you are unclear about the different lawful reasons for processing under GDPR.
- You will increase the probability of existing clients moving along your product staircase because you will understand what they need at different stages and at different times.
Put simply, without an ideal client avatar, you are adopting the scattergun approach to marketing. Doing this critical preparation and research means you can be specific and targeted with your messaging, leave those ideal clients in no doubt that you are the person they need to work with.
Why not make a start now and download my step-by-step guide to creating your own Avatar by clicking here?
Step 3 – Use your avatar research to increase your net profit
Creating an avatar really is all good news. We have already seen how really knowing and understanding your ideal client increases your revenue. But it also decreases your cost of sales, therefore giving you an overall increase in net profit.
How? By removing the scattergun approach and introducing targeted, efficient and specific ways of working. Because you have clarity in your mind about who you need to attract, you will find your processes can be simplified, your sales cycles can be sped up and you will avoid wasting time chasing dead end opportunities.
This really puts your avatar time and research into context. The confidence of knowing your ideal client brings a powerful ripple effect through your business, decreasing the cost of sales in these three ways:
- You will be writing and sending fewer marketing messages, as the ‘scatter-gun approach’ becomes replaced with a targeted marketing approach.
- You will be able to guide clients efficiently along your product staircase, as your CRM system will be reflecting your avatar in underpinning your business.
- You will speed up the process of converting a prospect to a client, as you will be creating messages which they are more likely to notice and resonate with.
- You can further refine your sales process and make it fit precisely with your chosen ideal client (for more on this, check out How To Have A Kickass Sales Process)
Do you need more guidance?
I have published an eBook, called ‘Understand the Importance of Knowing Your Ideal Client and Create Your Own Avatar’, which outlines some of the key aspects of creating an avatar to support your business.
This eBook will help you understand…
- Why your business needs an avatar
- How avatars can be used
- How avatars are created
- How to build your own avatar with a step-by-step guide
You can download your copy of the eBook here.
How can I support you?
My goal is to help you, as a business owner, to grow your business by getting the maximum value out of your three most valuable assets:
- Your contacts/data
- Your processes and systems
When you make the most of your contacts/data you are in the best place possible to increase your revenue. When you have efficient, repeatable processes in your business, you reduce the cost of sales. Both these things give you, as the business owner, more head space to focus on growing your business.
The overall result is an increase in net profit.
How can you find out more?
I have been working with CapsuleCRM for a decade and helped many clients increase revenue, reduce costs, make the most of their contacts, manage their pipeline and deliver great customer service. Capsule is an excellent way to capture your leads and clients once you’ve identified them using your avatar.
I can design and install the perfect bespoke version of Capsule to meet your needs. Capsule really is a great solution for coaches, consultants and business owners and when it is integrated with Mailchimp and Xero you have really solid foundations in place to grow your business.